Thursday, 25 August 2011

Selecting a Dog Trainer...

First a bit of background: I have been involved with showing and training dogs since I was 11 years old. I am now in my mid/late 20s. And go...

 Friends of mine got a Puppy (it is almost a year old, so more adolescent then “puppy”) a few months ago. I, along with the rescue they got it from immediately suggested (strongly suggested) taking it to training classes.

 I finally saw my friends again a week or so ago (they live in Toronto). And asked how the training classes were going. Not good apparently. The person running the class was always at a loss for what to do, and was often on her cell phone, apparently Googling for solutions to problems. If a problem arose she couldn’t find a “solution” to by quickly Googling, her solution was to send the puppy & owners home with a “We’ll deal with it next week”, or a promise to email in the morning.

 I have often penned (if such a term can be used in this day & age) missives about how to select the right dog/breeder for you. I thought I would mix things up a bit with one on picking a good trainer.

 These days it seems that everyone who has read a book on dog training or has watched an episode of Cesar Milan is calling themselves a trainer. Thinking it’s a quick buck they throw up some flyers, run some ads & presto they are a dog trainer!

 Would you take child rearing advice/use a daycare run by someone whose only experience is having watched a few episodes of “Super Nanny?”.

 First things first every trainer has their own style, methods and techniques. But they should never be abusive. The trainer should also be willing to adapt their training styles to the dog. For example: Some dogs require a firmer tone of voice then another. Never let a trainer tell you all dogs of a certain breed are the same. Every DOG is different. This is also why you yourself shouldn’t watch an episode of Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer) & immediately try to train your own dog exactly like he did – that style might not be suitable for your dog.

 I would also be wary of trainers who advocate the use of one particular collar/harness ect..., and that alone. Just as every dog is different, they also respond differently to different forms of collars.

 For example, when I am working with a new dog to show in the “Conformation” ring (that’s the “Westminster Show” you see on TV ... the *sigh* “Beauty Pageant” – I hate that term, but it will have to do for now). For example, the 1st hour, about 30-45 minutes in building a report between the dog & I; I get to know it, it gets to know & begin to trust me. The remaining 15-30 minutes are spent beginning the selection process for a collar for it to show on. Martingale? Chain? Slip? Resco? Nylon? Leather? Never mind selecting the proper lead & length for the dog too!

 So what should you look for in a trainer? Well really that’s up to you. But here are what I would be looking for.

 - Do they compete with their dogs? Not a must in a trainer, but through competitions in various “Canine Sports”, one meets an assortment of people. Several times a day amongst these people conversation turns to problems they’ve had in the past/are having with dogs, and what their solution as been. This not only gives someone a sounding board (or 6), but an arsenal of ideas.

- Experience/Education? Did they attend a trainer’s course/seminar? What background do they have? How did they start out? This can go hand in hand with the above point. Did they ever apprentice under another trainer?

 For example I attended my first training classes at 11 years old. Over the years I started helping (ex: showing people how to properly put on the collar, hold a leash ect...) the person running the classes (who had been competitive in many areas of “dog sports” since the ‘60s – I blame her for all this “madness” that is my life – she talked me into entering my very first dog show), sometimes I would merely sit and watch how she dealt with situations. She is now retired from working with dogs. But to this day if I am having a problem with one of my dogs, or a dog I am showing I know I can call or email her and try to work out a solution or something on the road to a solution. I would call this an apprenticeship.

 Gage for yourself their answers. I wouldn’t go to a trainer who answers that they’ve read a book, been to a dog show once and it didn’t look too hard, or anything of that ilk.

 - References? Speak to former students, or even audit a session! Ask your vet, they may have heard something about the person you are taking of going to for classes. Ask around at work!

 Believe it or not, how we found my first mentor (the woman I talked about above) was my Dad was refereeing a Hockey game, and the other Ref for the game (it was “Huff & Puff league... 2 refs. They did both the Ref & Linesman duties), were talking after the game, “Having a Couple of Pops” (-nod to Don Cherry there) and my dad mentioned that he had a new puppy & was looking for a training class to go to. This guy had been to the woman we ended up going to for training classes with 3 different dogs over the years, and recommended her highly, as did our vet at the time (that vet has since retired).

- Does the trainer ask what your dog has had for veterinary care? (Vaccinations and the like), or are they more worried about getting their money? A good trainer wants not only your dog healthy, but the others in the class as well.

 Use your own intuition. If alarm bells go off, trust your own judgement.

 If a situation makes you uncomfortable at the classes, speak up. Don’t be afraid to take your puppy/dog, go home & look for another trainer.

 Do you teach training classes? You are probably thinking right now. No I do not. I don’t want the responsibility right now, nor do I really have an area in which to do it. Plus I want to keep my “amateur status” for the Obedience rings.

 Thanks for reading, I hope this made a bit of sense. Had to deal with my Keyboard batteries dying, phone interruptions and so on...

No comments:

Post a Comment